Bengal Chemical & Pharmaceutical Works Ltd.(BCPW) is precursor of the present Company, Bengal Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd (BCPL). Acharya P C Ray took a rented house at 91 Upper Circular Road, Calcutta and started business with a meager capital of Rs 700.00. Since inception of the Company he was very much quality conscious and produced various products of British Pharmacopoeia standard. Eminent Doctors with nationalistic feeling like Dr R G Kar, Dr N R Sarkar, Dr S P Sarbadhikari, Dr Amulya Charan Bose, etc. came forward and patronized the products. The reputation of the Company started enhancing rapidly, when Acharya P C Ray felt of pumping more fund in the Company to produce on a large scale. This idea transpired to convert into a Limited Company and on 12th April, 1901 the name of the Company was styled as Bengal Chemical and Pharmaceutical Works Ltd. (BCPW), retaining the same premises at 91 Upper Circular Road, Calcutta.
Soon BCPW became the first Indian Company of its kind to manufacture quality Chemicals, Drugs, Pharmaceuticals and Home Products, employing indigenous technology, skill and raw materials. for production of quality Drugs & Pharmaceuticals and Chemicals with indigenous technology to cater the needs of millions of common people, foster growth of Indian Industries, compete with imported goods and to become self-sufficient. Incidentally, it may be noted here that some of the products, namely Fire Extinguisher, Surgical & Hospital Instruments, Talcum Powder, Tooth Paste, Glycerin Soap, Carbolic Soap, etc. , which were very popular during that period, were discarded subsequently, considering that products were not remunerative based on prevailing market scenario.
Acharya Ray’s nationalistic outlook and sense of patriotism brought the national leaders, like Mahatma Gandhi, Shri C R Das, Shri Subhas Chandra Bose, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and many other stalwarts. Besides this, Shri Rajsekhar Bose, the noted writer, was also associated with Acharya P C Ray. He also happened to be the Manager of BCPW. All of them never missed the opportunity of getting in touch with Acharya P C Ray at the critical hour of the need of the Company.
Under stewardship of its founder, BCPW went on accumulating glory and success accompanied with expansion of its production facilities. From humble beginning with one Factory in Maniktala( Kolkata) in 1905, three more Factories were established – one in Panihati (North 24 Pargana, West Bengal) in 1920, one in Mumbai in 1938 and one in Kanpur in 1949 with its Registered Office at 6 Ganesh Chunder Avenue, Kolkata – 700 013. Besides, the Company is having 9 (Nine) Sales Outlets and 2 (two) C & F Agencies spreaded all over India.
In 60’s however, compelling market situation acted as deterrent to growth and the Company passed into a dark phase in 1970. Ultimately, to protect the interest of large number of employees of the Company and the common people at large, the Management of the Company was taken over by the Government of India on 15th December, 1977. Finally, the Company was nationalized on 15th December, 1980. A new Company was formed under the name and style “Bengal Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals Ltd.” (BCPL) in 1981. Truly, BCPL is a Heritage Company in the area of Indian Industries.
With the passage of time, the Company expanded and diversified into a multi-product conglomerate, having three Divisions. Division – I includes Aluminum Sulphate(Alum), Division-II has been categorized as Drugs & Pharmaceuticals, such as Analgesics & Antipyretics, Antitussive, Expectorants, Enzymes & Hepatobiliary Preparations, Diuretics, Topical Anti-infective & Antifungals, Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs, Muscle Relaxants, Antibiotics & Antibacterials, Ant tubercular
Drugs, Antimalarial Drugs, Vitamins, Oral Electrolytes, Antiasthmatic Preparations, Anti Venom Serum and Division-III includes Cosmetics & Home Products, namely Cantharidine Hair Oil, Disinfectant Fluid (Lamp Brand Pheneol), Moth Repellant (Naphthalene Ball) , Aguru (Perfume), Floor Cleanser (White Tiger) and Toilet Cleaner (Klin Toilet).
Stringent standards of Quality Control, infallible commitment to the consumers have enabled BCPL to receive WHO-GMP Certificate, DGQA Certificate and ISO 9001 Licence.
BCPL has explored into strong area of Sera/Vaccine area. Already as a manufacturer of Anti Snake Venom Serum(ASVS), steps are being taken to manufacture more Products, having social importance, like Anti Rabies Vaccine (ARV), Anti Rabies Serum (ARS), Diphtheria Anti Toxin (DAT), Kalazar, etc. It is planned to open new specialized Pharma Division in the areas of Cardiovascular medicines, Hypolipidemic Drugs, Anticancer Drugs, new Cephalosporin Antibiotics. Negotiation is going on to evaluate the possibility of manufacturing Anti Retroviral Products for which the Nation is dependent on import.